This Land is Your Land, This Pie's From Thailand

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Have you ever gone to bed in July, and when you woke up, it was September October? That's kind of what happened here ...

Needless to say, it's been a busy, crazy summer. It didn't help that having my favorite pizza-shooting camera stolen (a Panasonic LX-5) kind of took the wind out of my blogging sails for a while, too. So we took a couple of weeks hiatus, which turned into ... well, October. But we're back! Ready to blog, eat some more pizza, and take pictures with a shiny new Panasonic GX-1 courtesy of an insurance check and a higher homeowner's insurance premium. Because if you pay hundreds of dollars per year for a service, it should immediately cost more if you ever have to actually use it, right? Makes perfect sense. But I digress.

We ate a couple of pizzas before the summer ended that I never got around to blogging about, so I'd like to revisit one of my favorites to kick this thing off again - the Thai Chicken deLITE Pizza. And this just so happens to be one of the more unique pizzas we've eaten, as well.

Up close and personal with the toppings prior to cooking

I'm not a spicy food eater. I'm pretty sure we've covered this before, but "Mild Buffalo" is to me what "Naplam" is to most males in possession of a normal level of testosterone, so it should come as no surprise that I've steered clear of Thai food for most of my life. A fact that I am guessing was fairly obvious to the girl behind the counter when I attempted to order the "Thigh Pizza." Yep. 30-something years on this earth, and I still screw that one up under the pressure of public speaking every time.

She's baaaack ...
And still making pizzas with a smile

I'm not sure what Thai normally tastes like, but I was very pleasantly surprised by this pie. There was a twang of spicy (not sure how you'd describe that above the Mason-Dixon Line, but that should relate the amount of spice perfectly to all my fellow Southerners), but there was also a very pleasant sweetness in the sauce. I visited the Papa Murphy's webpage after eating this pizza to see what the ingredients list contained (
"sweet chili sauce, 100% real mozzarella cheese, zucchini, grilled chicken, a mix of white, red and green onions, and finished with a dusting of crushed red pepper flakes," if you're interested to know), and the title of the press release was "Papa Murphy’s Brings the Sweet Heat ...", so it looks like they hit the nail on the head with that description.

The full view prior to cooking
And the melty, delicious "after" shot
Baked zucchini - SOOO tasty!

If this is what all Thai food tastes like, I may be a convert. The fact that I love zucchini definitely didn't hurt, either. If I had to pit it against my love for the
Chicken Bacon Artichoke deLITE, the CBA would still come out on top, but it would be a close race. It makes me wonder what else I might have misjudged and been missing out on this whole time. Is bungee jumping actually fun? Could it be possible that the Crash Test Dummies' "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" deserves a second listen? If given the choice between a Paul Walker movie marathon or hours of excruciating torture, have I been making the wrong choice all along? (Trick question - they're one in the same).

House rules - Dad gets the first slice
Point-of-view virtual pizza eating

Unfortunately, if you haven't tried the Thai Chicken deLITE pizza already, you've missed your chance for the time being. It's a seasonal special, and Papa Murphy's stopped offering it by the time Fall rolled around. But we hope you enjoyed these pictures regardless, and I apologize for my sloth in sharing this with you. If you see the Thai pizza still available in your local market, I'd highly recommend giving it a try. Otherwise, stick a pin in this as a reminder to try it out the next time the promotion rolls around!


No comments:

Post a Comment